Search This Blog

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Mastery Journal - Sports Management & Operations



            I consider myself to be a sports fanatic. More specifically, I consider myself to be a sports-statistics junkie who is extremely interested in how the sports-world works. For as long as I can remember, I have always been fascinated with the puzzle pieces that form the bigger picture, not only in the sports realm but also in business (and life) in general. The largest department within these industries that captures my undivided attention, more so than others, is management. My current course at Full Sail University, Sports Management and Operations, successfully combines all of these categories into one class, and I absolutely love it.
            While delving deeper into many sports-related aspects like player representation, facility issues, media rights, and fan loyalty and engagement, I was able to increase my knowledge of these topics tenfold. Now I can actually have an intelligent conversation with someone about these matters and not feel like I’m just someone who is only familiar with these subjects.
            As someone who grew up loving sports, but was rarely able to participate on an “organized team” level due to being considered by many to be “too skinny” or not as talented as the next man, I began looking into the athlete representation and management side of the equation, for the possibility of a sports-related career of my own. This is why I enjoyed learning about sports agents during the second week of this course.
            By learning more about sports management and operations, I wouldn’t say that my career aspirations have changed as much as I would consider them to be even more reinforced and much stronger now. After learning what I have in this course, not only am I still interested in a career in athlete representation or management, I am now even more interested in these fields. 
            I will apply the knowledge that I’ve accumulated during this course into being better prepared for the possibility of working in this industry in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment